Recipe by Allergy Free Cooking, Baby! Inc.
Egg Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Peanut Free, and Tasteful *For Gluten Free option see end note
What can I say about Red Velvet cake? It is absolutely delicious. It is usually made with buttermilk, so in this recipe we make our own quick and easy dairy free buttermilk. It is sweet, moist and delicious.
- • 1 ¼ cup of dairy free milk
- • 3 tbsp white vinegar
- • 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- • 2 cup of granulated sugar
- • 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 2 sticks of dairy free margarine
- • 1 ounce of red food coloring
- • Substitute 2 ½ cups of Gluten Free all-purpose flour + 1 ½ tsp xanthium gum for 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round pans.
- In a small bowl combine DF milk and vinegar to make buttermilk.
- Let stand for five minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and DF margarine.
- Mix cocoa powder and food coloring and add to the mix.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add vanilla and remainder of the vinegar to the “df buttermilk” and add to the mix.
- Mix the batter. Pour into the pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite allergy free frosting.
- • If making cupcakes bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- • Bundt pan approximately 40 minutes.