Recipe by Allergy Free Cooking, Baby!, Inc.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Peanut Free, and Tasteful
The usual meatball recipe calls for at least 1 egg. In this recipe we use ground flaxseed and hot water as the binding agent for the meatballs. Make sure to use very hot water and to let the mixture sit for at least five minutes. It works great and the meatballs are moist and delicious!
- • 1lb ground turkey
- • ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- • ½ small onion
- • 3 garlic cloves, minced
- • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • ¼ ground black pepper
- • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- • 3 tbsp hot water
- • 3 tbsp olive oil
- • 26 ounces marinara sauce
- Toast about 4 slices of gluten free bread and place in the food processor to make bread crumbs
- Replace 1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs for 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- Mix the hot water and ground flaxseed in a small bowl and set aside
- Add breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, & pepper
- Add flaxseed mixture and turkey
- Shape the turkey mixture into meatballs, I use a melon ball scooper.
- Brown meatballs over medium-high heat in olive oil, about 5 minutes
- Transfer meatballs to a plate and remove excess oil
- Add marinara sauce and return meatballs to the pan
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.