Recipe by Allergy Free Cooking, Baby!
*This recipe contains food dye
Egg Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Peanut Free, and Tasteful *For Gluten Free option see end note
I had a someone ask me to make a 6 layer 9 inch rainbow cake allergy free. I had never seen one before but was up for the challenge. The Allergy Free Vanilla Cake recipe stood up to 6 layers piled high. Its such a beautiful cake to cut into. My kids enjoyed watching the batter change color. Two main tips: make sure to line each pan with parchment paper. Since each layer is thinner than a regular cake layer they are a bit more delicate. Make sure to use gel food coloring. It makes very bright colors.
- • 6 cups of all purpose flour
- • 2 tbsp baking powder
- • 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- • 2 cups dairy free margarine
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 1 cup applesauce
- • 2 tsp vanilla extract
- • 2 1/2 cup of dairy free milk
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line with parchment paper 6 9-inch round pans. If you don’t have 6 pans, you can do it in batches
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and DF margarine
- Add vanilla, DF milk, & applesauce
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, & salt
- Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix just until combined
- Divide batter equally into six bowls
- Add the gel food coloring and mix until you get the desired color
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean
- Let cake cool
- Frost each layer with allergy free vanilla frosting starting with the purple layer on the bottom, and then blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.
- Frost the entire outer cake with allergy free vanilla frosting