Recipe by Allergy Free Cooking, Baby!, Inc.
Egg Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Peanut Free, and Nut Free *For Gluten Free option see end note
My niece is coming over for a sleepover so I made these gluten free for her. I had a lot of request for using coconut spread due to the pea protein in margarine. I tried it with this recipe, even with the icing and it worked great. These are pretty fast to make, no need for yeast. Great for a snack or a breakfast treat.
- • 2 cups of all purpose flour
- • 2 tbsp sugar
- • 3 tsp baking powder
- • ½ tsp salt
- • 3 tbsp dairy free margarine or coconut oil + 1 tbsp for spreading
- • ½ cup of dairy free plain milk
- • ¼ cup of applesauce
- • Substitute 2 cups of flour for 2 cups of Gluten Free all purpose flour + 1 tsp Xantham gum.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp dairy free margarine or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the all purpose flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, salt, DF margarine or coconut oil, dairy free plain milk, and applesauce.
- Mix until dough forms.
- Place the dough on a very floured surface and knead the dough into a ball. I like to use a cookie shet as the surface because it supports me in rolling the dough into a rectangle.
- Dust the ball of dough with flour.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 10×8 inches. About ¾ of the cookie sheets length.
- Spread 1 tbsp melted margarine or melted coconut oil on the dough.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar.
- Sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll the dough tightly starting from the 10 inch edge.
- Cut the roll in half, then cut each half in half again and finally cut each piece into three to end up with 12 buns.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Ice with homemade icing below or store bought vanilla frosting.
- For icing mix all the ingredients with an electric beater until frosting forms.
- Ice buns while warm