Recipe by Allergy Free Cooking, Baby! Inc.
Egg Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Peanut Free, and Tasteful *For Gluten Free option see end note
Shortbread cookies are a much drier cookie. They are great with dairy free milk, tea, or coffee. My daughter kept hounding me to make lemon cookies and I found that shortbread was the best way to go. These are great to make ahead of time and freeze the dough. If your dough is frozen take out a day before using and let defrost in the refrigerator.
- • 1/2 cup of allergy free margarine or coconut spread
- • ¼ cup coconut oil
- • ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 1/4 tsp salt
- • 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- • zest of 1 lemon
- • juice of 1 lemon
- • Substitute 1 ½ cups of Gluten Free all-purpose flour + ¼ tsp xantham gum for 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- (Tested with Bobs Mill Gluten free all purpose flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream margarine, coconut oil, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Add flour,lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix until combined. Batter might be crumbly, pour batter onto wax paper and knead into a ball.
- form the dough into a long cookie log. I like to wrap the dough in the wax paper and form it into a log by squeezing and rolling.
- Once in a log cut circles of dough and place on a cookie sheet
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute and remove to cooling rack.